Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Well here goes,

I came home, again, Friday afternoon. I picked up Meghan, who I went to High School with and works downtown, and we were off to Ann Arbor. We talked for a while, and it was pretty pleasant. We weren't especially close so it wasn't like talking to your best friend or anything, but it was generally pleasant. We avoided traffic around Ann Arbor by getting off 94 early, and I dropped her off around 5:30. I got home to get ready. I had a bit of an argument, such as they are, with my parents because at the time, I didn't know if I 'd have an internship and where, I'd be living. Its all really confusing. After cooling off, I went to the reunion. Now the flyer I got in the mail said it started at 7. I got there around 7:30, wanting to be fashionably late only to find that I was actually the second person to arrive. most everyone else was waiting until 8 for the Open Bar to start. I got to see a lot of people I hadn't seen in a really long time. Some I was glad to see. I saw a lot of growth out of a lot of people. (Interesting fact by the way, 14 of my classmates are either married or engaged, including to each other. This comes to a rate of 21%. In five years, my guess says its above 50%) Some, of course, and for me a distressingly large number, hadn't shown much growth at all. While I appreciate the need to sow your wild oats at this age, there has to be more to life than going out and getting blitzed every night, which was the same thing you did in High School, and perhaps the same as you did in College. I'm sorry, I'm just a bit frustrated at this point. Many people, after the open bar closed at Midnight, decided to head down to another bar, which I went to, just to see if anyone needed a ride home. No one did, though I don't know if that was a rejection of the ride or a rejection of me. I sensed a lot of hostility from the "cooler" people at the reunion directed at me, why I don't know, but it certainly seemed to be there. Of course I have spent a long time passing judgment on these people, but I don't think I've gone out of my way to hurt anyone.

I stopped in Albion Saturday and had dinner at Lone Star with Mike Bohne, Kopec and Huff, as well as Denise Robinson and Jeannie. Chelsea Sadler was our waitress. It was god to see those people again, though I wish I had more time to search out everyone else I wanted to see.

I got a call from TKA on Monday. They want me for Fridays and Saturdays during the fall. Obviously this is very good news, as I now have an internship in the bag. Is it absolutely that I want to do? No, but it does allow me to finish here, plus potentially make some good contacts down the line at either radio stations or newspapers.

Still looking for a place. I'm putting in a call on a place I saw for subletting on Craigslist, which is in Wicker Park. It would be short term, which is what I need. Plus it would actually be cheaper than my current apartment, as this one runs about 550 a month plus 100 in utilities compared to the 675 I pay now, which includes electricity and gas.

God, I can't wait for this to settle down. Cross your fingers that Chicago Magazine gives me the ok tomorrow or Thursday. I'll need all the help I can get.

No comments: