Thursday, August 12, 2004

New Jersey- Wow

It takes courage to do what James McGreevey did about an hour ago. Not only did he admit an extramarital affair and resign as governor, but he came out to the world.

"Were there realities from which I was running?" he asked. "I do not believe that God tortures any person simply for its own sake.... In this, in the 47th year of my life, it is arguably to late to have this discussion. But it is here and it is now.... And so my truth is that I am a gay American. And I am blessed to live in the greatest nation... with the greatest tradition of civil liberties in the world."
"Yet because of the pain and suffering and anguish I have caused to my beloved family.... This is an intensely personal decision and not one typically for the public domain and yet it cannot and should not pass... I am also here today because shamefully I engaged in a consensual affair with another man that violated my bonds of matrimony. It is wrong... It is inexcusable...."
Amazing!
"I am removing these threats by telling you directly about my sexuality," he says, telling the press that if his sexual life had remained secret the state would have had problems.
"Given the circumstances surrounding the affair and its impact on my family and my ability ... as governor, I have decided to resign." -
Taken from Jeff Jarvis

That's an amazing speech, and an incredibly courageous stand to take. From the reports I'm reading today, this has been building for some time, and McGreevey hasn't been a great governor anyway. But still, it took courage to do what he just did. I don't know what impact this will have nationally, probably very little. The media will hit this hard in the next couple of days, but it will probably evaporate soon. The e conservative media will try to paint this as evidence of the moral decadence of the Democrats, but McGreevey did the right thing as far as that was concerned, he took the hit, resigned, said what the reason was, and took personal responsibility for hurting his family. Wow. That took guts and a whole lot of it.

Please support, if you can or want to, the PAC my professor from Washington Semester is a part of. It raises money for, and supports the efforts of women candidates who are under 40. This is the "pipeline" theory. I'll explain later. But its a worthy, and bipartisan, cause.

No comments: