Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Sic Transit Gloria

Obviously, I do feel some need to talk about the passing of John Paul II (the Great). More than any Pope in the last century, with the possible exception of John XXIII, meant as much to the Catholic Church, and none, with the exception of Pius XII, was more controversial. John Paul II, and his tenure as pontiff, will go down as one of the most dramatic papacies ever. Here is a man who traveled more than any pope ever, and probably more than all of his predecessors combined. Here is the Pope that helped to overthrow communism in Eastern Europe, starting with his native country. He was a man who forgave his attempted assassin, and who opened all forms of ecumenical dialogue, and not just with in the Christian community. As Pope, he recognized Israel and visited a mosque. He's received Lucille from B.B. King, and had breakdancers perform in an audience with him. He saw his church grow dramatically in the developing world, while the church in Europe floundered in the face of secularism and the Church in America became mired in the sinkhole of its own vices. He has stubbornly kept out of step with mainline Protestantism on issues like contraception and the ordination of women, while becoming a hero to liberals for his objections to the Iraq war and his steadfast opposition to capital punishment. This pope was a man of contrasts, but what's most important is that he did things, not just sit in his palaces, and detach himself from the world. The world will be a much different place without him in it.

I must say it has been an eventful few days. I saw John in Chicago on Friday, which was really nice, because I felt like we needed to talk about some things as well as just hang out for a while. I also saw the Steeno's for the first time since the breakup. I must admit, I had been a little worried about how they would react to me, even after so long. I was always comfortable around them, but you never know how something like what happened can change someone's reaction to you. Thankfully, Mr. and Mrs. Steeno couldn't have been happier for me when they found out about my job, and they seemed really happy to see me. I enjoyed the writing 5 show John did, and was able to stay the night, which I want to thank John publicly for here. Saturday morning I headed to Valpo to pick up my mom's keys and to have lunch with Robert and Jen. Everything went well, though I got out later than I wanted to, and so I wasn't able to go home before I picked up...Amy Lewis!!!

Amy is at the Purple Rose and doing smashingly. Things really seem to be going well for her and it was amazingly good to talk about things with her again. I also want to congratulate the people who did the workshops. I had some tie to all of them, some more than others. I want to congratulate N. Matthew Mourning for his amazing piece, because it challenged everyone in the audience, it didn't spoonfeed anyone, which I greatly appreciated. I also got to see Mike Bohne's last performance in Chelsea Sadler's play. I also want to congratulate Brinn Cronin, who's play was directed by Alex Rivera. While not perfect, she's come a really long way with her writing and hopefully will continue. I've always loved the workshops, because its such an amazing thing to watch the work of students as writers and directors, and also to see new faces along with the old ones on the stage. Workshops are really a great opportunity for younger actors to get experience and for the "veterans" to try new things, or, just to help their friends in their shows. After the shows, and a couple hours at the Phoenix with John, Amy, Mike, Nick, Maggie Holdershaw and several drunken Alpha Chi's, we went back to the Mae. I enjoyed the conversation there as well, especially with Chelsea Sadler.

The next morning came a trip to Denny's with more old friends, like Karen and Andy, and the ride home, the long goodbye as we left Albion and the chat with Amy Lewis on the way back to Chelsea was a great way to end the weekend. Its been kind of crazy here. We're doing our best to find some leads on Apartments before me and my mom head out on Thursday. We're trying to get all of these things together and I also am trying to say some goodbyes. I had lunch with my grandmother today, and it really hit me how far away I was going to be from everyone, and how much I'll miss them, and be missed. Still, I'm hoping to be able to come home pretty regularly to visit, as well as to see Albion and the people I still have there. Plus, hopefully, I'll be getting some visitors over the summer. After all, Wolfeboro is a resort.

Tonight I went to see Woody Allen's newest, Melinda and Melinda. The movie is essentially two different writers' views of the same story, and one man creates a tragic one around his version of Melinda, while another, played by Wallace Shawn (a movie with Wallace Shawn having dinner is always interesting), takes a more comedic approach. I really enjoyed it, I found both stories compelling in their own way and I really enjoyed the performances. Still, I heard a couple talking as I left the theater about how Woody's newer movies never seem to be favorably viewed in comparison to his 70's work. I find this unfair. Woody can't make Annie Hall for 30 years, he has to try new things. I have found most of his new work to be pretty good, actually. The problem is that he is judged against himself, and his movies are not judged against heir peers today. I think a movie like this, which speaks to real themes about the duality of life, in that it can be viewed as both tragic and comic, makes lots of interesting points and arguments, and I enjoyed it for what it was. Happy Hunting everyone, and good luck to Miss Kraly over these next couple of trying weeks.

No comments: