Saturday, April 23, 2005

The Preamble

Ok, so the draft is about to start, and we still don't know what's going to happen at one. It probably will be Alex Smith, but we don't know if they're going to trade the pick, trade the player, or go with someone else entirely. I don't know, no one knows. That's the beauty of this draft, really it is. Last year we had six or seven huge big time players and then everyone else, this year its basically a lot of everyone else. I love Braylon, I think he's the best player in the draft. Well, we're starting now, and for some reason Torry Holt is with ESPN today.

Speaking of ESPN, I want to say something about Monday Night/Sunday Night Football. I'm not going to talk about how weird it will be to not see football on Mondays on ABC. My question is, what does NBC do for its broadcasts, and do Madden and Michaels go to cable or maybe go to NBC. I think that its likely that Costas will not be in the booth, he'll be the studio guy, that's what he was the last time NBC had football. Now my personal favorite to be in the booth is Jim Lampley, who is probably best known for doing Boxing on HBO. But he's also an NBC employee. I think he'd be great doing football too. The other studio guys could be anyone, the last time NBC did football, they had two coaches, Mike Ditka and Joe Gibbs, and a player. The group I'd go with is this, Costas as the lead guy, Glenn Parker, who has done the Arena Football League coverage and is really good, Sterling Sharpe, who is just fabulous, without being schticky, and lastly, assuming he retires after this year, Dick Vermeil, who's great on television, or Matt Millen, if he leaves the Lions, as some think he will. I'd then have the other guy as one of the people in the booth, along with Cris Carter and Lampley. That's what this man would do. The 49ers are now on the clock.

No comments: