Saturday, April 30, 2005

Flying Off the Handle

That's not what I did, because, frankly, I never do, but that is essentially what my left front wheel did on Friday. My car had been making some odd noises, but that it was related to the exhaust, and that I'd take the car in soon and have the problem fixed. Well, it turns out that at least some, if not all, of my wheels lugnuts were not tightened (I just had new tires put on on the 4th of April, about 3 weeks ago). So the tire flew off as I was driving to the New Durham town hall. I mean it flew off, and careened toward some guys putting in a driveway across the street, and I, now with three wheels on a four wheeled car, went to the right. Here's a look:


Yup, that's my wheel in the sand, and my poor fender, after the tire shot it up and out.
Posted by Hello

So yeah, not too fun. That sort of took the rest of my Thursday away, which was expected. My car is currently sitting at Sal's, the repair shop in town, and I am awaiting word from my insurance company as to what I'll have to pay, and perhaps what responsibility Discount Tire has.

So, though my car issues put a damper on things there still were some fun things that happened the last few days. Like me getting paid. I also heard from Ms. Karen Green, who sent me a lovely note after receiving the paper I sent her. I also was privy to the announcement of the birth of Connor Allan, the young nephew of Ms. Susan Southard and Mr. Adam Emperor Southard. Adam, my colleague at the Baysider was also kind enough to have me over to watch game 3 of the C's and Pacers with him and his girlfriend Shannon, who teaches at a school about 90 minutes away.

I will tell you what the most difficult transition is for me here. The accent. Its omnipresent, thankfully for my sanity, Adam and Mary don't have it, but most everyone in the office, especially the women, have that brassy sounding New England accent. Its as omnipresent as chowder or lobster here. And the use of "wicked" as both adjective and adverb. Yup. I feel like there should be ten neighbors around me named Sully.

Congratulaions to the Seniors at Albion College as you enter Senior Week, and a belated congratulations to the fabulous Albion College Euphonics for the concerts. I saw the movie versions of the songs that were posted on the website and they were all fabulous. It should be pointed out that one of the newly annointed Euphonics members off of this Semester's auditions is Beth Carroll, the little sister of one Alexander Theodore Carroll, so we know have second-generation (kind-of) Euphonics, which is very cool.

This story
really irks me, as you would expect it would. Banning books by gay authors or with homosexual charchters pretty much is censorship and downright evil, and then of course you have the problem of what you do afterwards, and what line is next to be drawn. Now this state senator argues that such books should be put in a hole and burned, meaning he'd be right at home in a Leni Reifenstahl film.

No comments: