Friday, April 22, 2005

Catching up to now

This week has been a little more calm. I got my stories done in a far less stressful time frame, and ended up getting a lot more stories in. I got to meet the Atkins family, who have a plane and a runway in their backyard, as well as David Preston, who's run a paintball park for 10 years and is now 25. I got to talk to Ms. Susan Southard for a while last night, which is always fabulous. I was also glad to see that the Euphonics concert went so well and that Trojan Women was a success last week. That really is great to hear, and I echo John's feelings about feeling like a proud parent when it comes to Euphonics. Otherwise, my highlight of the week so far is getting my internet back, but that's only til tomorrow, when I'll be doing what I did with John last year, blogging the NFL Draft. I'm also going to be going to a party at my coworker Adam's new apartment tomorrow night, so we'll see how that goes.

I wanted to say something about the election of Benedict XVI. To me, its disappointing, because there was a real opportunity for the church to commit itself to social justice, especially in the developing world. Instead, we went with a doctrinal conservative who's going to be all the worst of John Paul II without any of the positives. In Africa, where there's a growing Catholic population, much of the faithful is HIV positive, and because of the position on contraception, the plague of AIDS continues to spread there. We bring in a European conservative as Europe itself seems to be breaking its neck to secularize. I' just kind of mystified, and bewildered, by all of this.

And Hey:


Here's some guy ruining a perfectly good sunset at the lake
Posted by Hello

1 comment:

CrazyJohn said...

CrazyJohn says: That's the funniest caption to a picture ever! Aww... boopums, you don't ruin pictures. You're cute on all the days!
Nice lake >gratuitous wink<