Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Fini

Today is my last full day in Washington, as far as this time around in concerned. I really do think I've accomplished what I've wanted to here, that being a recharge of the batteries after the time I had in Chicago. While I didn't end up finding permanent work here, I have a lot of fun experiences and good contacts to take with me. Obviously, people like the Bayne's, and Ingrid and Michele, who let me stay with them and offered their advice, I am extraordinarily grateful to. Same thing with Andy Carroll, and everyone at the Association of Small Foundations, for giving me work, as it gave me focus as well as allowed me to get my head above water financially. Obviously, Courtney, who's let me stay with her in the rent deal of the century, and given me a lot to think about as well, I thank you.

I also want to thank Barb Palmer, who helped to steer me on the right path here. Same thing with Richard Just, my friend at TNR. It was also great to reconnect with Cameo, who I hadn't really talked to since we left DC as juniors, which I regretted a lot. Now perhaps we'll stay in touch this time.

Plus it was great to be in this city, because of the energy it produces, and for its many amazing sights. I heard it said once that if Pittsburgh produces steel and Detroit produces cars, then Washington produces power. Its incredible to be in a place like this, where so much power is centered, and where there are so many brilliant people, all of whom, on both sides of the aisle, are all people who want to see the country improve and who love everything about it. While we disagree how best to get there, everyone here shares a common desire to do what they see as good.

Memories to take with me:

That first Monday, getting up at 6:45 to catch the VRE, then spending about 8 hours walking around DC, most of which was just me circling the Capitol building. Then how tired I felt afterwards.

Seeing Barb again, and catching up with how things have been with her at AU.

The incredible rush you get when you stand on the steps of the Court and look at the Capitol, the incredible feeling of knowing you are literally standing where history is being and has been made.

Running into Kim Shannon on the street.

Hearing Tony Kornheiser on the radio again.

Losing my cell phone battery in the snow at the Bayne's house, then buying a new one, then finding the old one when I got back.

Taking the Metro around to all those different spots looking for apartments.

My week housesitting at Michele and Ingrid's.

Being in the NPR studios while they conducted an interview for Morning edition.

2 Hot Dogs, a can of Coke, and a bag of chips- $3.00

The House and Senate office buildings

In the Congressman's office "Dale Kildee", he says as he extends hand, "Jim Shilander" as I grasp it.

Being interviewed by Vietnamese State Television.

Happy Hour with ASF.

The NC State ladies (sigh)

IMing Cameo

Sending out resumes all over, from my little computer on the kitchen table and then on the living room floor.

Walking through the city, especially the one day when I walked from the Capitol to 20th and P.

Being here, and how much its helped me through everything, through the people I've met and gotten to know and all the experiences I've had

No comments: