Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Best Day Ever

Today is one of the two best days of the year, by many people's reckoning. It's the first day of the tournament. Unfortunately, I haven't really been able to follow it, because I've been downtown and at work, but it’s still so much fun to know I can go home tonight and have four games on at around 7:30, even though I'll only have the normal feed.

By the way, Happy Birthday to Ms. Susan Southard, I hope the last year has treated you well and that the new one will bring all sorts of new opportunities as you move closer to finishing at Northridge. Also speaking of Ms. Southard, I want to wish Miss Kraly a good and safe flight, and obviously a fabulously fun spring break in LA. Let Dre and Em run free.

Of course the steroid hearings are going on in Washington today. I really don't see how they accomplish anything, though there is a legitimate public interest in keeping steroids away from young people. Still, to trot out ballplayers, essentially only to bring the attention they'll receive, and then to schedule it on a day most people won't be paying attention anyway is just confusing. None of the players said anything different than you'd expect them to, though apparently Schilling went after Canseco pretty hard, which is great.

I have to say, today is really the weirdest days to be a non-drinker. It is kind of expected on a day like this, especially given the unfortunate stereotype of the people whose patron saint we honor today. But still, tonight usually isn’t the best night to go out to a bar and not expect weird looks when you order coke or water.

I bumped into Kim Shannon yesterday on the way home from work. She's doing well, and I'll see if I can stop by this weekend to catch up with her and a certain Brandon Bartlett Blackburn Dwyer.

There should be more interesting things going on tomorrow, especially as the tournament moves forward, stay safe tonight everyone.

No comments: