Monday, June 28, 2004

Starting the long week, by talking about the weekend

This week will probably be my toughest, academically, since last fall. Both my classes this session are ending, and so stuff is coming due. I have a 12 page paper due Thursday, and a presentation tomorrow. I also need to write some reviews, including one that will force me to go out to eat Wednesday night, or I suppose, Thursday afternoon.

I was kind of split on the weekend. On the one hand, I got to spend more time with my Grandma Graham, I hadn't seen her since the funeral. She seems to be doing well, but my aunt Mary and her daughter Grace stayed for more than a month after my grandpa died, and so now she has to face waking up alone everyday. She talked about doing little things, turning the radio on when she gets up, to avoid silence, as well as treating herself to things, in her case half and half as opposed to skim milk in her coffee. On the other, we were at a family reunion, and therefore there were people I have seen maybe once in my life, and yet we're family so I don't really know what to do. The Scofields are a bit different from our family, and there were lots, and I do mean lots, of kids running around all over. One interesting thing though, as a means of keeping the kids busy, as well as a means of getting to know one another, the Ferlito's (My dad's sister Annie, my uncle Kenny, and their kids Dominic, Jodi and Ricky) came up with this idea to play "bingo" where people would initial little bits of info about themselves on a board. Every 5 in a row got them a "Ferlito Dollar" which could be given to the kids in exchange for them doing a chore. The kids then got to buy toys and other things with the money later. My brother and my cousin Ben, through what means I don't know, came into possession of a large cache of Ferlito dollars, and made the kids do things like feed them grapes (Robert) or cut up their food into bite size pieces (Ben).

The administration really must have been scared about handing over sovereignty on the 30th. They've effectively wasted potentially great PR by handing over sovereignty when they did, this morning at about 2:30 Eastern time. This means that it happened while all of us werea sleep, we could only hear about it this morning, not watch it. It was not the "event" I'm sure the Bushies wanted it to be. Instead, Bremer's on his way back, almost looking like he's trying to get back as fast as he can because who knows what happens now.

I did not get a chance to see Fahrenheit 9/11, but obviously the fact that it was #1 at the box office, with only about two weeks of promotion, and being that it is a documentary and such a controversial film, it really was surprising. Hopefully, enough of the audience will be people who are undecided about whether they will vote for Bush or Kerry that it will make a difference, particularly in Ohio, or in Pennsylvania or Florida, states that might tip the balance come November. Great job by the right-wing in promoting the film by talking about it ceaselessly,giving Moore all of the free press he needed.

No comments: