Thursday, May 20, 2004

Ok, a few things things about this week that have been a little bit off or weird. This is my off week from classes at Roosevelt, and its been nice, but when I checked my grades Monday, figuring a couple would be in at least I saw that I had failed Media Criticism. This, suffice to say was pretty shocking and unexpected. And there is a reason for that. Because I didn't fail it. My prof made a mistake when he was putting the grades in and suddenly I had failed. This is being taken care of, hopefully, but the website still has me as having an F. On the bright side I did get an A in Magazine Production, which is something I am very proud of, because Im and a lot of other people worked really hard on it, especially our prof, who had to stay up very late for a few nights ecause some people did not have their shit together in time for production. I think, at least I should be able to get a good letter of recommendation ftom him, as I have to start looking for internships for the fall.
Speaking of that, I don't have to be here in the fall. I will only have one class which would require being in a classroom, and that meets on Mondays, my internship and project will be able to be done outside of school. I also confirmed that my lease runs out at the end of August, so I will soon be getting in gear to get an internship, hopefully somewhere in Indiana or the MI.
I am starting therapy soon. I had a preliminary meeting with a counseling student from Roosevelt who works during the walk in hours of the counseling center on Tuesday. I talked about everything that's gone on the past three months and how it has affected me. She said that on Tuesday, I would be getting a call about scheduling a more permanent time. Obviously I needed something, I just needed a push from someone really important to get me there.
I "earned" $75 yesterday for showing up on time for a focus group. They apparently over-recruit sometimes, but they gave me , and two other guys, "incentive pay", to do another focus group soon, because we didn't actually do one.

I really do not understand what the leadership of the Republican Party is thinking. Yesterday, the SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE made a joke about John McCain not really being a true Republican because he has voiced concerns oer Abu Gharib and other war issues. The worst kept secret in Washington is that McCain hates GW Bush. He hates him for the push polling (which the Bush campaign denies doing) that took place in South Carolina, that charged him with fathering a black child (he and his wife adopted a child, who I believe is Bangladeshi, a few years ago), and for what he saw as coopting his campaign themes when Bush didn't believe in them (Reformer with Results). I do not believe he would run with John Kerry on what would amount to be a war hero ticket. I don't even believe McCain is likely to switch parties. The danger is that the Republicans, by treating McCain , and by extension, his fellow maverick and veteran, Chuck Hagel so shabbily, they may risk creating their own Zell Miller. Zell is the "Democrat" who openly campaigns for Bush, shreds John Kerry to the media and talks about how the party leadership has lost its way. If the leadership continues to push McCain, though, I could see a situation where McCain not only does not campaign for Bush, but openly does so for Kerry and his VP nominee. By the way, the more Republicans that come out seeing problems with the Iraqi policy, I have seen Lindsey (former impeachment manager) Graham, Dick Lugar, and the only man in the Senate to have married Liz Taylor, John Warner, the more problems there are for Bill Frist in the Senate and by extension, the White house. The senate is in play, and I will guarantee that the Dems take a seat here in Illinois, where Barack Obama will probably crush Jack Ryan to fill Peter Fitzgerald's seat. The possibility of more problems in Iraq and an unpopular president certainly does not bode well for the Republicans in the upper chamber.

Be well

No comments: