Thursday, May 27, 2004

My first counseling session was today. It was essentially me going over what brought me here, presumably next week we will start to get into some of the issues I have been having.

There really isn't a whole lot for me to say today, as I'm rather tired. I wanted to be sure to get to the appointment on time, and thus went to work at 8. I probably stayed up later than I should have, so getting up was rather difficult. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier, as I am thinking of sleeping in til about 9, and getting out of Chicago after morning rush hour ends. I don't have to go downtown for my check because I got it today, I just can't cash it til tommorow, which I will do on the road.

I have been missing people lately. I called John today to wish him luck on his performance and to say hi to his parents for me. I really miss Susan, I haven't talked to her in a while either. But again, she has a whole other life in LA, so that's really not a big deal either. Hopefully I can talk to her soon.

There are certain songs that I have heard lately that just sort of cut deep. On the way to Schaumburg I heard a song I'm sure most of you are familiar with, "Cherish" by The Association. I have really been trying to listen to the words of songs lately, and I am usually struck by how much is there in songs from the 60's and 70's and the Motown era that aren't there on, oh , the Top 20 on 20 channel. That's not to say there aren't people today doing powerful work, but its not on the top 40. Of course, whenever I here a countdown on 60's on 6 and they're doing the top six songs on a given week and "Honey" or anything pre-British Invasion and done by white people other than the Beach Boys or Buddy Holly comes on at number 1, its pretty bad too. Back to my original point, there are just songs I have heard lately that bring out emotions I have been having, and saying them in a way I never could, "Cherish" for my personal life, "Load Out/Stay" by Jackson Browne for how it made me feel to perform, old Motown for just getting through the nights sometimes. Music really does help, its the one thing that can really effect me right now more than anything else.

Ok, sorry I didn't post anything more interesting, though I would like to suggest taking a look at an article in the Washington Post about a school in Russia where the history teacher and her students have some very interesting discussions about Communism and Capitalism and whether Democracy is right for Russia

No comments: