Monday, May 10, 2004

First things First - Congratulations to the Albion College Class of 2004. For Amy Lewis, Darcy Crain, Alexis Snyder, Julie Maxey, Sean Logan, Matthew Meunier and Kelsey Hulse, I wish you all much success and I am sure you all will achieve it. You are all wonderful people.

Congratulations to John on being cast in the Writing 5 show. Obviously the Second City mainstage has no idea what its in for, and rest assured I will be there with bells on ( What does that even mean?)in August.

My Grandfather died on Friday. I was on my way home anyway, to attend commencement, and as I approached Indiana while on I-94 my mother called and asked me where I was. I said that I was moving along, and then she told me that he had died. I said I was sorry, frankly because I didn't know what else to say. She told me to come home.

My grandfather, as I said before, suffered a heart attack last week. As I said then, and as I will reiterate now, my Grandfather did not take care of himself as well as one might today. But that doesn't make his life any less worthwhile. My grandfather could be hard to get along with sometimes, he could be argumentitive and extremely stubborn, but he could also be very loving.

When I tried to kill myself almost ten years ago, it was my grandfathers words of encouragement that helped me to understand that I still was worthwhile. Whenever I needed help he was there for me, and encouraging my gifts and talents. He supported me in everything I did, with encouraging words and hugs.

I know that last few months have been hard for me, and this doesn't help matters. But then I think of my grandmother and the sense of loss she must feel. She has lost the father of her children and the man with whom she shared her bed for the past 53 years. My family went to church with her yesterday. She has handled this very well, and she has probably been preparing herself for this for the past week. But still, twice during Church, when they announced his death during the intercessions, and then later when they announced the funeral time, I saw her break down for a second. And my heart broke. My grandmother is a saint, I've never heard her say a bad word about anyone and she has spent her life helping people. Now I just need to be there for her.

The last time my grandfather came to Chicago I knew something was wrong. The walk from his hotel to my apartment usually takes me two or three minutes, its about two and a half blocks. My grandfather needed to stop along the way because he got so tired. It took us about 10 minutes to make it. I didn't want to see him in such pain. Maybe this comes as a relief then, knowing he won't have to suffer anymore. But still I miss him, and I wiush I could have said something more to him the last time I saw him, a couple of weeks ago. To let him understand what a good man he was, and how his goodness helped make his children, his grandchildren, and everyone around him better.

I don't know what I believe about God, about whether there is any sort of plan for me. But right now I have to believe that there is a better place, and that my grandfather is there, watching over me, my grandmother, and his family. If you pray, please pray for my grandmother, my mother and her siblings. Thank you all.

No comments: