Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Well then, Steve Perry's happy

Obviously I want to talk about the World Series. I was surprised, I guess, by how subdued the celebrations seemed to be, both by the White Sox and then the shots in Chicago. I guess, though it was to be expected. As many have said, White Sox fans, unlike their North-Side rivals, and well, New England Red Sox fans, tend to be very low-key about the fact that they've lost. You don't hear about the misery they've suffered the past 88 years. This is in part, I think, because very few Sox fans really buy into anything readily. What makes Cubs fans hurt so much about '69, '84 and '03, and Red Sox so very neurotic about Buckner, Boone and Bucky Dent, is that they bought into their team winning. Thus last year, when the Red Sox won, it was winning for an entire region, for generations of New Englanders and displaced New Englanders around the country. Its why Cubs fans walked around in a daze for weeks after the Bartman game. White Sox fans, I think, rather than being disappointed sort of just take this in and say "F--- you Cubs," it seems more of a pleasant surprise than anything.

Nationally, I think, because there isn't the romance tied to the White Sox and their futility, people have been underwhelmed. They only went to two World Series since 1917, and one, well, they threw. Maybe now Shoeless Joe, Buck Weaver and the rest of the Black Sox can rest easy, and Charlie Comiskey can continue to burn in miser hell. It should be said though, that this was one of the great runs ever, in terms of how they just rant through everyone, even though all of the World Series games were close.

Just a couple of observations about the series: Tim McCarver talked about how Brad Lidge had the taste of the Pujols homerun out of his mouth. The second he did, Scott Podsednik hits it out, someone who had exactly 0 home runs during the regular reason (though he had one in the playoffs) wow.

I stayed up, as long as I could Tuesday night, after all its my busy night. I stayed up to see the White Sox score, then I just sort of surrendered. Frankly, it was a very ugly game, even though it was close and long. The walks, the inability of either team to hit, especially the Astros, actually got embarrassing at one point. Still, it doesn't excuse Phil Garner throwing his team under the bus Terry Murray-style after the game.

The guy I'm happiest for is Jermaine Dye, the MVP. Besides now being a great bit of trivia (the highest World Series Batting Average), he's come full circle. In Oakland, he seemed to underachieve, dating back to the time he broke a leg via a foul ball in a division Series.

Well, I'll get back to other things later this week, see you then.

No comments: