Monday, August 01, 2005

Weekend of Wonder

So, it was, suffice it to say, an interesting weekend. Starting last Thursday, things have, been, well, just a bit off.

Last Thursday, I had a rather, I guess, troubling confrontation with a potential story subject. We had agreed to meet at his home that day, except that well, he didn't remember it that way. I had joked with the Adams about feeling like I possibly might be staring down the barrel of a twelve gauge. I felt like I nearly was. So I turned around and went to the gym.

The next day, I trekked up to Meredith to see someone about my benefits. There are certain times, really, where you'd like to be someplace for a while. It takes me about 45-50 minutes to get to Meredith, to the home office. I was there, maybe, for ten. So it took me forever to get back. I went to the office to do the Real Report, so far everything is fine. I go to New Durham to take a picture. Everything still fine. I go to the airport...Not fine. I got stuck behind some farm equipment, slowed things up a bit. So I arrived at the airport a bit later than I expected. So late, in fact. That they didn't seat me on the plane. They put me on a later one, to Minneapolis. I really don't like going past the place I intended on going, I really do. I had a layover of about 2 hours. Then I boarded the flight to Detroit, from Minneapolis. It was late, like midnight, when I got in, and I was tired.

The next day, I wanted to go out to Albion to see Andy, before he leaves for his City Year, in San Jose, something I greatly admire him for, by the way. On the way out, in my dad's new car, that he just got from Tennessee, I had nice conversations with Andy and my folks. Then, just outside of Jackson, the car begins to rumble. Yes...one of the tires was punctured, and I had to change it, on the highway.

Anyway, I still got to see Andy, Steph, and Nick for lunch in Albion, which, despite a lack of fundamental Lopez-ness, was still good. I also hung out with them at Goodrich for a bit, before taking off for home, to see Robert in Into the Woods. I enjoyed it, though there was more students than last year, and fewer alumni, though Ms. K-M herself was in the show. I liked it a lot, and it was great, after the show, to talk to Jon Ophoff, Paul Van Slambrouk, Miss K-M and Rachel Gessert (who I hadn't seen since before I graduated high school), and who just came back from spending five years in Rome. She's going to be going to New York soon, for photography, and hopefully I'll see her when I go down there again.

Sunday, I saw the Shilander's as they came up to see the show, then went home to get ready for my flight. My grandmother drove me, and we listened to Sinatra and talked on the way in to the airport. When we arrived at the Terminal, I collected my things...Except my keys. So my grandmother drove back to the airport, though thankfully she hadn't gone far. So I got my keys back and got to the terminal, and the flight was delayed.

Eventually, I did get back to Manchester, and made the ride home. Unfortunately, beginning Friday, my TV had been on the fritz, so today, I bought a new one.

So that was the weekend. Tomorrow, I'll post more about the play, on Raffy, and some other stuff, but I just wanted to let you know about the weird.

1 comment:

Kar said...

Aww Jim! I'm so glad you had such a splendd weekend! So sad to have missed you, I got comissioned by big sister to cheer her on in a triathalon in Mackinaw City so I was up there while you were romping in albion. Hope things are going well for you, love! you're in my thoughts!