Friday, June 03, 2005

Chew Toy

Because I've been walking lately, around 4 or 5 miles a day using a trail that's mostly built on an old railroad bed behind the town. It follows Back Bay across Wolfeboro Falls and then into the woods leading up to Lake Wentworth. By the way, the area before the Falls is also wooded. So, not surprisingly my arms and legs have been a nice buffet for mosquitoes in the area. Still, its been fabulous to get walking again, in preparation for running in earnest soon.

Last weekend I spent some time with Adam and Shannon going to a Mexican restaurant in Conway. Now as anyone I've talked to in the past two months realizes, one of my frustrations with living in the Lakes region is the total lack of a Mexican restaurant, there isn't even a Taco Bell. So it was a great change to get something in the way of Mexican food, even if they screwed up my order (they gave me cheese enchiladas instead of beef) . I also learned a couple of hazards about living in the area. One, the Mt. Washington auto road, which allows cars to go up the highest peak on the East Coast, features a very steep drop, so steep, they need to provide drive off areas to allow cars to cool their brakes off before they get blown out. The second, and perhaps a bit scarier danger involves the large antlered animals that sometimes walk around the roads. That's right, moose. Well here's the danger; because they are so big, around 2 and a half tons, they can easily crush the front end of a car, including the area, where I might be sitting, like a sardine can. The greater danger is that the moose is so tall that the average car lights go under the legs, so I wouldn't see the two-and a half ton behemoth in front of me. Yikes.

I had a really interesting interview today, with the artistic director of an educational theatre company in Barnstead. What was amazing is that they have this huge company, they can put as many as ten companies out at once, and everything is in this barn in NH. All the flats and drops are small enough to fit in the back of minivans as well, so unlike Michele and Ingrid, who required a huge truck to transport everything for their shows, these shows are rather small. The other interesting thing is that the group performs real Shakespeare for kids, just reduced to something like 50 minutes. But they use the real language, they don't try and dumb down the language for kids, which I found quite refreshing, even though I must say that those people, like Dory, who do children's theatre are doing something I certainly wouldn't be able to do. Yup, these are my thoughts.

Fabulous

No comments: