Sunday, June 05, 2005

Anticipation

So, I'm sitting down tonight to watch America's best, and therefore least watched awards show, the Tony's. I don't really feel totally confident in predicting anything, because I've only seen one nominated show, so I'm not going to predict anything, but there's a reason its better, because its the only awards show that celebrates something that gets performed live only.

I've noticed a couple of other things while watching the box with the moving pictures. One, as happens every couple of years to me, I got sucked in to watching a Bunim-Murray show on MTV. This year, it seems that I'm getting into the newest "Inferno" competition. I guess I've mainly been frustrated in watching it because some of these people have literally spent the last seven or eight years being employed by MTV, and they've either really learned how to play to the camera for dramatic effect, or we simply are seeing one of the best assemblages of immature people ever found by human beings. Some of the people have literally been on these challenge shows for their entire run, which means they have literally accomplished absolutely nothing with their lives, well, except all that time they've spent on TV performing in silly, ultratestosterone carnival shows. But then, I spent a couple of hours watching it in order to rant about it, so who's the idiot. (Points finger at self)

The other fun show, from the network that has proven, especially in the past year, with certain shows involving Runways and the Projects surrounding them, is Bravo's SportsKids Moms and Dad's. I realize that part of me is watching this to see exactly how much psychological damage we think gets done to these children by their sometimes maniacal parents, but the show, even after one episode, has me sucked in. Of the five families profiled, I'm really interested by four of them (the other is the classic parent is also coach dynamic, which isn't nearly as fun as the others). The one with the most psychological damage potential, and therefore, the most fun to watch, is the one between the teenage male figure-skater, and his stay-at-home mom. She really pushes him, and you can tell that she is really starting to wear on him. He hates it when she watches him perform, she can't stand to watch either. You just have to know that things won't end well, especially once he realizes he's gay, I mean, once he realizes this isn't totally healthy.

Another that is fun to watch is the one between the dad- Craig, and his football playing son, Trenton. The classic stereotypes are all there, Craig hasn't fulfilled his own athletic dreams, in fact he comes out and says that he "hasn't accomplished what I've wanted in my life." He has four jobs, commercial actor, pizza delivery man, football referee, and the guy running two adult flag football referees. His son, who's something like 8, plays in a "Gremlin" football league. He also trains to play football the other six days a week. Right now, it looks like Trenton actually is really enthusiastic about it, but the question is obvious, is he enthusiastic because he wants to please his father, or because he actually does love it. I have to say, that frankly, its hard to see if he has the incredible talent, because after all, he's only eight. He scored the only touchdown in the game showed last week, but having played football at an early age, though later than Trenton did, anyone who shows just a smidge of talent can be dominating. Its obvious Craig loves Trenton, but if his son gets burned out on football, as is quite possible, will he be ready to embrace what Trenton wants to do? I don't know.

The other two aren't so stereotypical. One family features an equestrian eventer and her mother, who is in the process of getting a divorce, putting an incredible financial strain on the family. The other family is a Texas cheerleader family, so maybe I lied when I said it wasn't a stereotype.

Ok then. Indeed

Tontiner- fun word from last week's spelling bee. Who doesn't want to be in a tontine?

No comments: