Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Wahoo Country

I wanted to briefly talk about the elections yesterday, especially in Virginia. Earlier this fall, I heard on Kornheiser about one of the ads run by the Republican nominee, Jerry Kilgore. It showed the father of a murder victim, who talked about how upset he was that Tim Kaine opposed the death penalty. Tony mentioned how powerful the ad was, and I'm sure it was. Personal testimony like that is always effective, and of course, we're talking about the South, where there is a history of support for the death penalty.

What really makes this interesting for me, though, is that Kaine is Catholic, and essentially makes the same argument that every Catholic politician has made since Roe, the "I'm personally opposed to abortion but I will uphold the law," argument. Kaine also extended that to the death penalty, saying that while he objected to it morally, he would still carry out the laws of Virginia. While I find the last part somewhat disturbing, because I also don't believe in the death penalty, but I understand the sentiment. In response to the Kilgore ad, Kaine made his position clear. What's amazing, here, and I say this as a Democratic voter who's seen such attempts derail a Cuomo presidential run and repeatedly fail at nearly every other attempt. I guess, that in Virginia, people are wising up. That and the fact that George Bush can't deliver a state quite literally in his own backyard (and if you consider the land that used to belong to the District and was ceded to Va. it quite literally is).

I wasn't surprised about Jon Corzine winning, though that race got really dirty. It was gratifying to see the Dover, PA school board voted out, though that was counterbalanced by Kansas changing the definition of science and taking reason out of science classes, replacing it with faith. Nice work. Rock, Chalk, You Stink.

No comments: