Sunday, November 06, 2005

New York State of Mind, or Currency of Love

So, as a treat to myself, and to see Beth perform her cabaret act that she does with Audra White, I visited New York this weekend. Really, the treat for me, ultimately is going to the city. The weird thing was, the last time I went to the city was the same afternoon that Mary called and offered me the job , so, leaving work from that job early to take the same route was interesting. The ride had gone very well, I'd called John Sellers the day before, part of a sort of quick and haphazard attempt to put together the trip during what had been a pretty busy week. When I got to the city, well, things slowed down, a lot. Consider , that it was still very light out by the time I got into New York and around 6:30, about two-and a-half hours later, that I got to John's apartment, suddenly worrying that I wouldn't arrive in time. Beth said to be at the theatre at 8:30, I needed to shower and change, and I had been figuring on about an hour for the trip from Park Slope to the Upper West Side.
Luckily, however, I walked up the subway steps on to Central Park West and 72nd at around 8:20, then looked around for the Triad. I asked several doormen, the doormen of the buildings who's average rent is about 50 times my yearly salary, for directions. I ended up just sorting feeling around for it, then, bang, before Amsterdam, I find the building. There was a show going on, so I still had a while, then I saw Beth and Audra before they went in and wished them luck, but it still was about a half-hour, as the show in the space before their show ran long and they needed to do sound check.

The show itself...well, its best to say that Beth and Audra were fabulous. The other acts...well, in place like New York, you get a lot of really talented people doing a lot of really good stuff, really innovative. Then you have some marginally or completely untalented people who have convinced themselves, or been convinced by other people, that they are in fact talented. There were some really talented people, aside from Beth and Audra, one guy who did a comedy/musical act playing the bass, an a couple of very funny comics, but there were some others, like the host (who was on Square Pegs, that's his claim to fame. A show that was on the air for about two years and then vanished is his claim to fame. He actually did a "So anyone here from out of town," reset for God's sake) and the ventriloquist (its one thing to move your lips slightly, after all how are you supposed to create a sound, but seriously, there has to be some sort of attempt at minimizing their movement. And try to spend more than five minutes on the dummy next time). Still the worst, the absolute worst was this woman who performed last. She was a singer, who performed what had to be the most amateurish (she didn't have live backup, it was on a tape) written songs ever (one was about how great life would be if love were how we measured wealth, the other I heard was written during a breakthrough in therapy, there was no way I was staying for the last song). Obviously, she had to have performed some sort of coital favor for someone to get on the bill, because, wow, she was awful. If they had brought up a homeless person from the street, at least the chances are 50/50 they might well be better.

After the show, I grabbed some food with Audra, Beth and some of their friends and talked, then I headed back to Park Slope. Unfortunately, I went to the wrong stop, and ended up having to go North to go South. I ended up getting back at 3, tired and ready for sleep.

My favorite thing about New York is the fact that even when alone, you feel a part of the city, because its that vibrant. I spent a good part of Saturday just walking around the city, which I always enjoy. Still, because it was Marathon weekend, I needed to get out on Saturday, as I'd still be in New York otherwise. Still, it was wonderful to talk to Sellers and Beth and just be in my favorite city, no matter how many untalented people there are there. After all, they're still living the dream.

No comments: