Friday, September 09, 2005

Qualifiction

So today, Michael Brown, the former commissioner of an Arabian Horse Association and who worked in disaster relief efforts for about two minutes, has been relieved of his duties heading up the Katrina relief efforts. As much as conservatives are telling everyone to "not play the blame game (while of course doing all they can to lay blame on the feet of the local and state government)," its also obvious that Brown has been made the scapegoat. It's also obvious, at least at this point, that there are certain jobs in the federal government that really should not be political appointments. Brown was essentially given the job by his former college roommate, who was also Bush's first campaign manager. This is me putiing this out there: If Adam Plunk, Dontz, Roman Rezhnikov, Julian Ignaczak or either of the guys from DC ever get some important job in government, I'm also expecting some job I am ridiculously under-qualified for, especially one that might well put me in charge of an agency where people's lives are on the line and I'm not adequately prepared to handle it.

The Roberts nomination surprised me. When I learned that Rehnquist had died, I figured, with some horror, that Antonin Scalia would have been made chief justice. Instead, its John Roberts. Its not totally unbelievable that someone who wasn't on the court be named chief. Earl Warren, I think, did a pretty good job when he became chief. Rehnquist's legacy, well I don't know what it is. I think most people will see him as the man who ushered in a conservative majority, but I think that had a lot more to do with politics then Rehnquist's own brilliance. He was never Scalia, who, while hateable, is also brilliant. I think though, that the Rehnquist court never had a "Brown v. Board of Education" or "Roe v. Wade," a society changing decision. We had "Bush v. Gore," and "Lawrence v. Texas," but I think the former will be seen as a political decision, and Rehnquist was in the minority on the latter. he funny thing is, this week, the episode of the West Wing where Bartlett nominates both a brilliant liberal and a brilliant conservative to the court to have it out, came on. It made me think how important the court is in articulating different philosophies, and how difficult it is to believe that we aren't going to be getting more of those brilliant people on the court. I don't think Roberts will be one of those people, and I don't expect the next one, the one who will now replace O'Connor, to be one either.

Pitt's only touchdown came on the opening kickoff. They lost to Ohio. I'm just saying.

No comments: