Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Da Do Run Run

I promised a post on the runaway bride. To me, this is an incredibly overblown story, which isn't a wholly original thought, I know. Look, my colleagues (And that's so cool to say) in TV, especially, are always looking for the next flavor of the month, especially during the summer. We've had Laci Peterson, Chandra Levy, all sorts of these attractive white woman (and they have to have both, if you're poor or have a touch of brown to your skin, you're screwed) 24-hour cable needs something to talk about, and actual issues or investigating poverty and its causes isn't really compelling television, so they have to manufacture things. This was their attempt to get their next story. So anyway, I really believe that any woman, especially if they were the kind of gigantic wedding this woman was having, its more than possible that she suffered some sort of mental breakdown. This is why no one, ever, should make any sort of major decision, and a decision like the one she made, while in a heightened emotional state of any sort. She panicked, ala Amy in Company, only without Bobby behind her to convince her to go back because she really wouldn't want to be with Bobby. I'm sure she's humiliated, that she'll never be totally trusted by her family again. But no one, I repeat no one, should be giving her husband a great deal of sympathy. He's in an absolute no lose situation. Barring doing the cruel thing (taking her to the altar and then dumping her) he can't lose. If he takes her back, he's the all time great guy, if he doesn't everyone will say "Who can blame him?" She made a terrible mistake, but I'll bet there was no way that anything approaching a rational thought went through her head while she did this, only irrational ones, the kind we make when we're scared.

So we put out the paper today, wit a bit of a struggle, but we did get it out. Twice this week I've been approached by subjects of last week's story's to tell me thank you and to say how much good feedback they've gotten about the articles, which obviously is a nice ego boost. I also picked up my car today, and its running fine. I have to say that the people at AAA have been pretty helpful through this, despite my frustration at points.

Good luck to the Euphonics over the next couple of days.

No comments: